Saturday, March 20

My Process in Creating a Painting

Popeye.  This is new, from March 2021. I'm developing work that is more open, combining free line and forms with specific imagery, in this case Popeye.  The imagery is related to sketchbook drawings I've been doing and developing for years.  

All the images below show my process at arriving at the finished piece above. I wouldn't normally show my process but think it would be instructive and interesting. The images go backwards in time. So as you scroll down they go from the most recent to the oldest. I'd suggest starting at the bottom of the post and working your way up. 

This seemed almost right to me but needed more clarity and definition.
 

Working and defining the painting. 


Here, I added Popeye and got rid of what was there before and digitally added the stars to see how they'd look. Some of the stars were already added to the painting, and some are digitally added here in this drawing. 


Working through the composition. Painting out areas and experimenting with the star motif. 


I didn't like the beaver, maybe I was getting tired of it. Maybe it just wasn't working and I felt that I had to destroy it and develop the free drawing further. Here I was beginning to play with the idea of the stars as a contrasting element and free drawing covering the beaver image, and trying to find a path forward.  


I thought that what it needed was maybe another element to give it more context and meaning. A motif I've used a lot are stars and velocity lines. This is a digital drawing. 


Here the beaver is added as a stencil to match the pedestal.  More or less my original idea.  I could have left it but it didn't feel right and continued working through the composition and overall feeling. 


Here the beaver is added digitally in a mock up drawing. That way I can decide on proportions before actually painting it. 


The original idea was to work through free line and incorporate a beaver on a log pedestal.  The beaver on a pedestal is an image I've painted before and I wanted to do something new with it.  Here, the pedestal is added.  I used a stencil which I often use as a way to differentiate marks and line qualities.